Home » Posts tagged 'Statelessness'
Tag Archives: Statelessness
I just love the way that our ever friendly minions of the left want to treat asylum seekers as idiot children, and for once I am going to stand with the Gillard government on something that they have done on this issue, namely given the mendicants that they have sent to Nauru documents that lay out the reality of government policy in very plain terms:
The sheets, which have been obtained by PM, make it clear that the process could take years and say that even if asylum seekers are granted refugee status, they may not be resettled in Australia.
“It is not possible to say precisely how long you may need to remain on Nauru. Remember that you can decide to leave Nauru voluntarily at any time,” the document says.
“If you are found to be a refugee, your individual circumstances will need to be considered as part of any resettlement option.”
And that resettlement option might not be in Australia; the document says it is possible the resettlement would be in a third country as part of broader regional arrangements.
Either way, it is likely to be a slow process.
The Immigration Department says the information sheets simply reflect government policy and inform asylum seekers about where they are in the process.
But Pamela Curr, from the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre, says the sheets have only one purpose – to bully the asylum seekers “to give up and go home”.
“The department is trying to force people to return,” she said.
“They know that many of the people they can’t send back involuntarily. For instance, the Iranians they can’t, the stateless people they can’t.
“So what they’re trying to do is put pressure on them through putting them in these horrible conditions in the tents, through sending them these letters which they want them to sign voluntarily to go home. That’s, in essence, what this is about.”
My bold in quote
What do the minions want the government to do? Pretend that after a short holiday on Nauru that these mendicants will be given a five star welcome to Australia? Sometimes you just have to be cruel to be kind in the right measure.
- Bullying claims over Nauru information sheets (abc.net.au)
- Nauru described as cruel and degrading (bigpondnews.com)
- Church groups were asked how to make life harder for asylum seekers (smh.com.au)
- Asylum seekers to be released into Australia (dailytelegraph.com.au)
- Asylum slams Australia camp for asylum seekers (thetimes.co.uk)
- Refugees to get $440 a fortnight (dailytelegraph.com.au)
- Australia’s ‘overwhelmed’ asylum centers slammed (edition.cnn.com)
- No photos, please: Nauru ‘unlike anything ever seen in Australia’ (crikey.com.au)
- Nauru: ‘terrible spiral’ of despair (smh.com.au)