Home » Posts tagged 'John Thwaites'
Tag Archives: John Thwaites
Well they do call themselves the Labor party but you have to wonder why so many of their failed state leaders qualify for various government jobs:
An analysis of recent Commonwealth appointments reads like a who’s who of former high-profile Labor figures. The Opposition has accused the Gillard government of engaging in a “jobs for the boys” program.
Appointments include former Victorian premier John Brumby to the chair of the Council of Australian Governments Reform Council on December 7.
Former Queensland premier Anna Bligh was appointed to the board of Medibank Private three days earlier.
Her South Australian counterpart Mike Rann, was given the role of Australia’s High Commissioner to the UK on August 23. In November, ex-Queensland Treasurer Andrew Fraser was appointed to Australian Sports Commission board.
A month later, Mr Fraser also joined the board of the new Moorebank Intermodal Company. Former Queensland attorney-general Cameron Dick was appointed to the chair of the Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation Commission on November 30. And ex-Victor- ian Deputy Premier John Thwaites was given the chair of the National Sustainability Council in October.
Mr Thwaites was also appointed chairman of the Australian Building Codes Board in the previous year.
Former WA premier Geoff Gallop was given a job on the International Education Advisory Council and appointed chairman of the Australia Awards Board. Former NSW Labor party president and Electrical Trades Union secretary, Bernie Riordan, has the role of commissioner of Fair Work Australia.
Its nepotism at its very worst as far as I can see and something that I am sure Gillard would have hoped would remain under the people’s radar. I can’t help seeing the ghost of Oscar Wilde’s ‘The importance of being Earnest” here one or even two appointments of the State Labor Alumni would not raise eyebrows but so many in such a short time just screams “jobs for the party faithful” and stands as in indictment of Labor nepotism. Sadly its the sort of sleazy practice that we have come to expect from Gillard and her crew.
- Government a home for lost Labor (dailytelegraph.com.au)
- Can Curtis Pitt explain why Jobs for the Boys is Alive with Labor as well – – – Should be careful before he critizies the LNP FOR DOING EXACTLY WHAT LABOR DOES – – – – Former Queensland premier Anna Bligh joins Medibank as non-executive director | The Courier (rajcairnsreport.wordpress.com)
- Former premier Bligh gets Medibank spot (news.theage.com.au)
- Former premier Bligh gets Medibank spot (news.com.au)
- Coalition puts economy at election heart (bigpondnews.com)
- Brumby to head COAG reform council (news.com.au)