Home » Posts tagged 'Arnold'
Tag Archives: Arnold
Ah those loveable Greenies have blood upon the hands once again as the stories of how they made hazard reduction burns for all intents and purposes impossible to get at the time when they could have been carried out safely:
Mr Arnold applied in August 2011 for a permit to spring burn some of the build-up of weeds and scrub undergrowth beneath blue gums covering Steele’s Hill that runs the length of his now-blackened 1000ha property.
He said it would have been a nice and steady little fire after winter that slowly crept through the bush, destroying the high fuel load.
He was knocked back because Steele’s Hill and its blue gums contained a wedgetail eagle’s nest and was classed as foraging habitat for the endangered swift parrot.
“I took that to mean that the bird might call in for lunch occasionally,” a frustrated Mr Arnold said yesterday.
“But I look at the devastation there today and ask where the Greens are? But they are more concerned about the pattern on their cappuccino in Salamanca than what has happened here on our farms this week.”
Mr Arnold said he could not say for sure that if he had been allowed to burn off Steele’s Hill in the springs of 2011 and 2012, that the bushfire could have been stopped on his farm before it roared down into the small Connelly’s Marsh beach community destroying more than 15 homes.
Its a story that we have heard before in relation to the terrible fires in Victoria a couple of years ago and I expect the very same lily livered counter arguments this time as we that were so unconvincingly mouthed then . We live in a nation that is covered with very flammable eucalyptus trees and we very clearly have a price to pay if we don’t have a fire management regime that acknowledges that the only way to keep our homes and our lives safe in the burning time is to reduce the fuel loads when it is safe to do so.
Maybe the only way we can do this is to throw another Greenie on the barbecue so that they will know what the people on the fire-fronts have experienced…. Hmm what is the best barbecue sauce for long pig again?
- Eucalyptus grove dying off (mercedsunstar.com)
- Australian heatwave: weather bureau upgrades temperature scale with new colours (telegraph.co.uk)
- Back-burning around Vic plantation fire (bigpondnews.com)
- Burning ‘Deep Purple’: Australia So Hot New Color Added to Index (stuartwilde.com)
- School? Forgot about that! – Salamanca, Spain (travelpod.com)
- Bushfire missing located, say police (dailytelegraph.com.au)
- Bushfires: NSW told to prepare for the worst (stuff.co.nz)
- Fresh emergency declared in bushfire-hit Tasmania (abc.net.au)
- Thousands stranded as crews continue to battle Tasmania bushfires (sott.net)