Home » Posts tagged 'Abbott government' (Page 2)
Tag Archives: Abbott government
Of selfies and lies
As i wait for this game to arrive in my PO box from the UK * I can’t help thinking that the launch trailer says a lot about the ALP campaign thus far. Right have you watched the trailer (this means you Ray 😉 )yet? The save the world speech, although laden with profanity very much reminds me of our new Again Dear Leader who would have the nation believe that Tony Abbott is an alien invader and that only he can save the country by putting his underpants on over his trousers and spreading the word that the nation will be destroyed under an Abbott government.
For a man who declared that he was opposed to negative campaigning we are seeing a great deal that is negative coming out of Team Labor but worse still we are seeing a great deal that is fake as well like the ads staring
It reminds me of several other campaigns run by the ALP over the last few years, like the one for which the built an expensive set that pretended to be an average Aussie Kitchen at the cost of many thousands of dollars to promote the Carbon tax compensation when they could have just used the real thing for just a couple of grand. Sadly this dedication to artifice and faux reality is all too common and you would think that given the clear intention to try to use social media in its campaign that the ALP would have grasped the fundamental importance of veracity when it comes to their advertising. Surely there must be some real people who are actually afraid of an Abbott government rather than a professional liar sprouting her lines for a fee.
Ah well that leads me to a question for our dear readers, which is to ask what political ads have struck you as being above average or real clangers. More importantly which ads do you think have been effective in selling their message?
*This little black duck does not want to have a censored version of the game ho hum…
- PM and Abbott to meet in people’s forum (bigpondnews.com)
- Kevin Rudd, Tony Abbott trade blows over attack ads as poll shows Labor in trouble (abc.net.au)
- Preaching to the unconverted (smh.com.au)
- Plants vs Zombie Rudd (iainhall.wordpress.com)
- Rudd ‘returns fire’ with negative Abbott adverts (smh.com.au)
- Labor targets Coalition’s ‘unfair’ paid parental leave scheme; Abbott says Rudd ‘doesn’t get it’ (abc.net.au)
- We will spend money more wisely: Abbott (news.smh.com.au)
- Rudd ‘returns fire’ with ads (canberratimes.com.au)
- Can Labor still win? Oh, yes (smh.com.au)
- Abbott slams ‘squalid’ ALP preference deal (news.theage.com.au)
A shortage of idiots undermines emission trading schemes
Advocates here insist that the Gillard scheme will be a valuable tool in the fight against the scourge of Anthropogenic Global Warming I have never been convinced that it will do anything that its advocates claim and I have repeatedly suggested that its little more than a scam. This post has but one purpose and that is to point out the folly of “emission trading schemes” and to show just how easily they become little more than a shambolic fraud. One only has top look to the European scheme to see what we can expect from the one created by the Gillard government:
Of course my quote above does not tell the whole story but it is a good example of how these schemes rely upon what can only be described as “clever accounting” to create the pretence of efficacy. To be honest I can see how such an indirect method to change industrial behaviour can ever truly work because it is all based upon the “bigger idiot principal”* and just as that sees the collapse of ponzi schemes it is seeing the collapse of the European emissions trading scheme as well:
Its a far from pretty picture in Europe and the only light in the antipodean climate darkness is that the Coalition have promised to repeal the idiotic regime created to placate the loopy Greens by a desperate Julia Gillard. Now if only the incoming Abbott government would have the courage to also ditch the majority of their own pointless scheme the country would be truly free of the AGW madness .
*the bigger idiot principle is essential in all kinds of derivative trading schemes it is the underlying belief that any commodity can be sold at a profit if only enough people can be convinced to buy into the scheme. It is fine until the supply of idiots runs out.
- Politicians reject call for early shift to emissions trading (abc.net.au)
- EU urged to revive flagging emissions trading scheme (guardian.co.uk)
- Opposition rules out emissions scheme (news.com.au)
- The EU Emissions Trading Scheme under WTO Rules (worldtradelaw.typepad.com)
- What Gillard is up against (theaimn.com)
- Without dignity all is lost for Labor (iainhall.wordpress.com)
- How does Julia sleep? (spectator.co.uk)
- Carbon fat cats are killing the emissions trading mouse | Damian Carrington (guardian.co.uk)