(by Ray Dixon – possessor of own teeth)
This is what I learnt @ the Dentist in Wodonga yesterday:
1. My teeth are still in pretty good nick for someone my age
2. But a check-up, scale and X-rays costs what ?!!!!?
3. Thank f*ck I have Medibank Private ‘Dental extras’ (it only cost me $40)
4. There are a lot of fat people in that town
5. And violent people (there was a bullet hole in the plate-glass window!)
But the biggest thing I learnt (from reading a magazine while in the waiting room) was this:
6. There doesn’t seem to be a big need for gay marriage
So let’s get this straight (no pun intended).
As of the 2011 census there were a total of 4,684,700 couples in Australia, of which heterosexual couples made up 4,650,986 – i.e. 99.3%.
While the total number of same-sex couples is only 33,714 (a mere 0.7%).
So that means only about 67,000 gays & lesbians are living together.
Yet there are how many gays & lesbians in OZ?
Who knows, but if we go conservative and say that only about 5% of people are homosexual, that would mean there are over 1,100,000 of them.
Yet only 67,000 are living with a partner?
While the other 1,033,000+ – the other 94% – are doing what for sex, playing the field?
No doubt. It’s the gay lifestyle ain’t it?
Let’s face it, monogamy is not exactly high up on the agenda for most gays.
So where then is this great push for ‘Gay Marriage Now!’ coming from?
Who or what is driving this meme – or this political agenda – if only a tiny percentage of gays are cohabiting?
The ABS figures look pretty black & white to me.
But I think another ‘colour’ might be running interference here: