My inner libertarian wants to believe that every individual has the right to do with their body what ever they please. However my inner conservative thinks that those who want to have themselves either chemically or surgically disfigured to make them into a simulation of their desired gender are mentally ill and utterly delusional if they think that any amount of “renovation” can ever make them into what they want to be. At the very best they can become a sad parody of their desire. Naturally such radical disfigurement can lead to terrible regrets as this woman from Belgium discovered after she had convinced doctors there to mutilate her body.
This instance of “buyer’s regret” is by no means unique but the fact that this sad woman was Belgian meant that she could get assistance to commit suicide which raises the ethical question for the euthanasia enthusiasts, namely where do they want to draw the line when the mentally ill seek suicide as the final solution to their very poor life choices? Surely the next step in Belgium has to be to start helping the schizophrenics to die when they voices get too loud? or to offer the manic depressives the needle when the lows are to dark? What about those of us with chronic back pain? Are we too going to qualify for the blessing of death? What about athletes who get a nasty sprained ankle surely they too should be put out of the misery of failure when they can not compete? Maybe even sporting teams who suffer the anguish of loosing the grand final should all be given the phenobarbital blessing to save them from the anguish of defeat. (and to improve the sporting gene pool by culling failures ) Why stop there? We could cure the common cold or solve the Gay marriage conundrum by respectively snuffing the snotty and burying the Gay.
Oh hang on this line of argument sounds awfully familiar to me as it should be to any student of history, it is where the well oiled slippery slope could lead too and sadly there are far too many euthanasia enthusiasts who are either uncaring or oblivious to the negative consequences to the changes that achieve their desire to embrace the fleshless arms off death.
Do we really want to go there Comrades?
- Nathan Verhelst Dies By Euthanasia Following Botched Sex Change, As Belgium Debates Extending ‘Death Rights’ To Children (medicaldaily.com)
- Woman elects euthanasia after botched sex change op… (telegraph.co.uk)
- I’m a monster: Belgian man chooses euthanasia after sex change (theprovince.com)
- Failed Sex Change Operation Drives Patient to Employ Medical Euthanasia (darkgovernment.com)
- Netherlands killing the mentally ill and senile (lunaticoutpost.com)
- Deaf Twin Brothers in Belgium Euthanized After Finding Out They Were Also Going Blind (theblaze.com)
- Man chooses euthanasia after botched sex change (smh.com.au)