One of the reasons that I abandoned the left’s politics is its inability to see the obvious and its wanton ability to to be duped by its ideologues. One such issue has to be climate change and the extent to which humanity’s footsteps on the planet will impact on the environment. One article that I read a few days ago in the Guardian has been republished in the
Green Left Daily , sorry I meant the AGE, and its a call for the subversion of democracy to the to the needs of Gaia from that high priest of the Green faith George Monbiot:
Of course what all of these minions of the watermelon left ignore is the complete equation, namely the human impact on the environment is a function of not only the things that humans do, but also the number of us that do it. So while the likes of George may whine about the industrial economy they also bemoan the loss of life from pestilence, famine and war. But here in lays the real problem when it comes to human impact on the planet. As a species we have become very adept at circumventing all of the checks upon our population and we are now reaping what this compassion for all has sown. Add to this the persistence of the cultural imperatives to have many children (especially in the third world) and it becomes clear that George is letting his leftist politics and hatred of the “elite” cloud his reason.
There are two ways to control an ever expanding population, either limit the number of children that are made to that which will replace numbers with out increasing our population or we stop making extraordinary efforts to constrain the four horsemen of death that have for so long controlled human numbers. This is of course an anathema to the left who think that every death in a struggle for resources or territory is an unmitigated disaster and requires sackcloth, ashes and the blaming of western culture. Dare I suggest its not the successful western cultures that are the problem for the planet because almost all of those have well and truly taken to heart limiting the number of children we make to replacement levels, its the countries of the third world who have unsustainable birth rates which combined with the compassionate “aid” from the industrialised first world have seen rapid declines in childhood mortality and subsequent population increases.
If our George really believes his own apocalyptic doom-saying then why does he not even consider the issue of population? It seems to me that he is so in love with his own millenarian prophecy and his desire to see western society back into a new “energy dark age” that he is not seeing the real big picture at all .
- Biodiversity offsetting will unleash a new spirit of destruction on the land | George Monbiot (guardian.co.uk)
- Break the grip of corporate power to secure our future | George Monbiot (guardian.co.uk)
- Guardian’s George Monbiot Apologises To Lord McAlpine (order-order.com)
- Lord McAlpine: Guardian will not pay George Monbiot’s legal costs (telegraph.co.uk)
- Is the Birth Rate Properly a Political Question? (theatlantic.com)
- George Monbiot, millenarian prophecy and his desire to see western society back into an “energy dark age” (iainhall.wordpress.com)
- Can’t Lord McAlpine just forgive George Monbiot? (blogs.telegraph.co.uk)
- Can We Create a New Generation of Environmental Defenders? (phippsscienceeducation.org)