The Labor Party is a creature of the Union movement so how can we trust a Labor government to make the reforms to union governance that both the AWU and HSU scandals clearly demand?
Gillard has only one honourable course of action here and that is to fall on her sword But my guess is that she will try to bluff and bluster her way through the last sitting of parliament for the year today in the hope that the issue will be lost amongst Yuletide celebrations. I can’t help but wonder just how joyful Brother Number One is at the woman who knifed him now enjoying such close proximity to her own petard?
- Gillard wrote to support slush fund: document (abc.net.au)
- Australia to abstain from UN vote on Palestinians (thehindu.com)
- Opposition seizes on Gillard’s Palestinian backdown (abc.net.au)
- Slush fund story now ‘over’ says Burke (bigpondnews.com)
- Union slush fund story now ‘over’: Burke (news.smh.com.au)
- Knives out for Gillard (smh.com.au)
- Document contradicts Gillard claims (theage.com.au)
- Ex-HSU boss arrested in Sydney (bigpondnews.com)
- Further arrests likely in HSU case (dailytelegraph.com.au)