Sometimes when you put a pot of water on the stove it seems to take no time at all to come to the boil and other times it takes forever. The scandal that is alleged to concern Julia Gillard’s time with and subsequent exit from Slater and Gordon is a definite slow boil situation but those bubbles are rising now and getting a great deal more excited day by day. The skeleton in Julia’s closet is certainly rattling now.
Of course there is no question of Gillard being prosecuted due to the statute of limitations on such offences but these revelations certainly put the treatment a year ago of Glen Milne and Michael Smith into a different light after Gillard essentially bullied their employers into sacking them for exploring the issue in the media. Well it seems that subsequent revelations vindicates Milne and Smith.
Of course the question on everyone’s lips is will this stake the Gillard Vampire or will she manage to escape with some minor wounding and limp on to the election with this black mark unnoticeable among the others that she already carries?
The latter I think because Labor are in the unenviable position of being stuck with Gillard until the next election and they have no choice but to try to front it out. A switch back to Rudd is unlikely to cure what ails the party and as they have no viable third choice….
Meanwhile my friends form the left are getting terribly excited about a minor Faux pas from Tony Abbott where he contradicted Kloppers over the reasons for the delay in the expansion of the Olympic dam mine expansion. They take delight in Tony Abbott being quite rightly taken to task over his rhetorical error in last night’s7.30 report. That said its rather sobering to compare the implications of Tony and Julia’s media woes. where as the former is of little or no consequence the latter faces rather grave questions about both her judgement and her honesty. Further the way that she bullied the media to silence Milne and Smith a year ago does her no favours either. Especially when you consider the way that both Labor and the Greens have been complaining about the “hate media” over the last couple of years.
While Tony Abbott will recover from his faux pas I doubt very much that Gillard will recover from the consequences of her naughtiness in the nineties.
- Law firm’s axe over PM Julia Gillard (dailytelegraph.com.au)
- Labor behind Gillard smear: Abbott (news.theage.com.au)
- Law firm stands behind Gillard – again (theage.com.au)
- Senior lawyers defend Gillard over claims (news.smh.com.au)
- Julia Gillard and Tony Abbott: head to head (cafewhispers.wordpress.com)
- Newspoll still catastrophic for ALP: Libs (news.theage.com.au)
- Graphical Manipulations #6: Gillard, Abbott, Politics and Rectal Referrals (deknarf.wordpress.com)
- Claims raise fresh leadership tension (dailytelegraph.com.au)
- The PM, an old flame and a lot of smoke (smh.com.au)