In another place I have been discussing the level of respect afforded to our current PM and I have been making the argument that ours is a rather informal society and that our leaders themselves promote that informality. No one in the United States would dare address a sitting or former President by their first name unless they were specifically invited to do so because they have a long tradition of revering the office of president itself. Here in this country it is entirely alien to genuflect to our leaders in any way at all. Frankly I think that it makes our leaders much more grounded that the ordinary people wont stand for the sort of obsequious deference that is common elsewhere.
But I will draw readers attention to the deliberate lie at the end of Julia’s missive> where she tells me that the 9% rise in electricity prices is “fully compensated” maybe for those individuals who are under a certain threshold there is “compensation” but there are many Australians who don’t qualify for this largess who will be paying that extra 9% without a single cent of “compensation” So I ask you dear readers how can our PM be believed when she claims that the rise Is “fully compensated”?
Oh yeah that’s right we can believe her because she did give us that sincere promise before the last election “there will be no Carbon Tax under a government that I lead” Yeah well its obvious that she is just continuing in the same vein in all of her other political pronouncements and that we can expect the most convoluted semantic gymnastics from Julia and her barrackers . Now if only semantic gymnastics were an Olympic event then this country would have wall to wall Gold thanks entirely to Julia Gillard.
- PM Julia Gillard Seeks Overhaul of Australia’s Electricity Supply Market (ibtimes.com)
- No carbon tax lift for ALP – Newspoll (bigpondnews.com)
- Carbon tax won’t effect Sunday, Gillard (bigpondnews.com)
- No lift for ALP after carbon tax hand-outs (news.smh.com.au)
- Aus: Voters desert carbon tax (junkscience.com)
- Abbott Insists Aussies Still Fear Carbon Tax (ibtimes.com)
- Rhetoric continues as carbon tax hits (bigpondnews.com)
- Coalition Advises Julia Gillard: ‘Repeal Carbon Tax to Bring Down Electricity Cost’ (ibtimes.com)
- PM Julia Gillard seeks overhaul of Australia’s electricity supply market (eco-business.com)
- Obama: ‘I’m not the president of black America’ (thegrio.com)