As its now officially winter down-under I am saddened to see the annual house fire season has begun, every year as people drag out their heating appliances and we hear stories of houses set alight and families that loose their lives or at the very least all of their worldly goods and all of those irreplaceable keepsakes. I had some good friends loose their (rented) house to a fire, they were lucky they escaped with their lives and some of their most valued possessions. The experience of seeing their pain led me to think very deeply about the possibility of a house fire and it led me to detest one aspect of modern domestic life, namely security grills on the windows of houses and apartments. Frankly to me they are just like roasting baskets in a commercial oven of you think about it for more than a second or too, if you cant put out the blaze with an extinguisher then you have to get out before you die:
Now if we put aside the possibility of there being fowl-play involved in this particular incident its very clear that the “security” of this house is what has killed its occupants. maybe there needs to be some sort of requirements that any house with such “security” has some sort of fire sprinkler system or even that in the event of a fire that explosive bolts can be triggered to blow open the security screens. Heck there may even be a good argument for just taking the risk of a break-in instead of turning your home into a single use crematorium. So if you are thinking about upgrading your domestic security, please think again about doing it and consider getting a dog instead. A dog will wake you in the event of fire or an intruder and there have been many stories of the loyal hound saving its masters from fire and as far as I know a dog has never trapped its owners in a blazing house. And taking the hound for regular “walkies” will be good for your health as well.
- Man dead in Barnsley house fire
- Vallejo firefighters battle third vacant marijuana house fire this year
- Man with 1 leg nearly killed while saving children from house fire