I tend to think that the age union movement has made itself largely redundant and it has certainly earned the disdain and distrust that most people express at the mention of its exemplars Like Craig Thompson. Its redundancy stems from the changes in the workplace that has seen so much work becoming casualised or based upon fixed term contracts. Employers too have long realised that its expensive to select and train its workers so they are awake to the advantage of paying valued workers above the going rate to retain them. All of these factors have led to a very marked decline in union membership during the course of my lifetime and now the unions are in a decline that is likely to be terminal.
Sadly for those who still believe in unionism there must be great disappointment in the news that the ACTU is to finally move to stop the endemic corruption and and a very cavalier attitude to the funds gathered from union members that is so evident from the FWA investigation of the HSU (east).
“The claims of misconduct, including kickbacks and rorting, had tarnished the entire union movement,”
Well Yes Prime minister that is true but I tend to think that no amount of stating the obvious is going to make any difference now and coming from a woman who has such a flexible view of telling the truth such claims have well, just about no credibility. Its rather sad for those who value the notion of a workers collective organisation that it has taken until now when the whole union concept is in serious decline for them to realise that integrity and good governance is important because the disease of corruption is probably too far advanced now for meaningful redemption.
- Unions will survive HSU scandal: Crean
- Zero tolerance for union corruption: ACTU
- Unions one step from being ‘wiped off the map’
- Tony Abbott doing what Labor should have done in the firstplace
- Craig Thompson
- A beautiful morning and a contemplation of just how a fish rots when that fish is the Gillard government.
- The Fastest-Dying Jobs of This Generation (and What Replaced Them)
- Why We Need Collective Action, Not ‘Collective Action’ )
- Richo,the gangrenous limb and memebers of the the rub and tug profession.