We have a fine tradition in this country of understanding that what a political player does in private with their privates is not of necessity any reflection on their ability to meet the requirements of their office. With that in mind I just can’t get excited about the silliness committed by Peter Dowling . Yes the idea of sending pictures of your penis in a glass of wine is a bit of a larf but is it really a scandal?
Lets look at the facts, firstly the woman involved was a consenting adult , secondly as far as we know there were no breaches of the criminal law by Dowling, thirdly after the affair was over the woman spurned has made public the indiscreet pictures.
If there has been a failure of ethics here I would say the guilty party here is the woman who has broken the tacit agreement involved in any relationship that intimacies will remain private . That includes silly pictures sent between lovers because I can’t help thinking that the salacious pictures would have been only coming from Dowling if they were the erotic currency of the affair (it is to his credit that he has not splashed pictures of the woman’s girly bits all over the media)
Finally lets remember that its not only conservative pollies you play away (Bob Hawke, anyone?) its inseparable from our humanity and our sexuality that human beings fall in love (or lust) and the simple fact is that its not a conscious choice and that people in love do silly things. People spurned in love do even sillier things.
- Peter Dowling: Australian MP mixes sexting with a nice glass of wine (theguardian.com)
- Penis. Wine. Penis Wine. That Is All, Just Penis Wine. (wonkette.com)
- Qld Ethics Committee chair, Peter Dowling, accused of sending explicit texts to mistress (abc.net.au)
- Qld parliament ethics boss in porn scandal (news.theage.com.au)
- Queensland MP stands down as ethics committee head over sexting allegations (theguardian.com)
- FRESH : Sexting Scandel: Weiner is Still In, Australia’s MP “Peter Dowling” Out (sacratomatovillepost.com)
- Australian MP in sexting scandal (itv.com)