The Craig Thomson saga still has a few chapters to play out but it has reached an interesting turning point with his very public arrest and him being charged with one count of fraud with 149 other charges to be laid in the very near future. Now without wishing to preempt the court process I am enjoying more than a small tingle of Schadenfreude at this very welcome news. This is not inspired by any thought of Thomson himself but rather the minions of the left who have just about turned themselves inside out trying to give him the benefit of the doubt and constructing the most elaborate conspiracy theories in the process.
Of course this does not really help Gillard but by the same token it won’t deal her any sort deathblow either. Frankly the death of this Labor Government is more like to come from a myriad of small wounds that will slowly exsanguinate the body of our oldest political party until it becomes just a pale shadow of its former self.
- Craig Thomson arrested (smh.com.au)
- Police arrest MP Craig Thomson on fraud charges (abc.net.au)
- Australian election: Craig Thomson arrested as Abbott makes reply speech (guardian.co.uk)
- Craig Thomson arrested in office (news.theage.com.au)
- Australia Lawmaker Thomson Arrested at Electoral Office – Bloomberg (bloomberg.com)
- Craig Thomson arrested by police (bigpondnews.com)
- Craig Thomson arrested – but will likely stay an MP until the election (crikey.com.au)
- Thomson bailed on fraud charge (news.theage.com.au)
- Who polished Craig Thomson’s Knob? (iainhall.wordpress.com)
- Labor announces the new NBN medicine program (iainhall.wordpress.com)